If you’re anything like me, the “self-help” section of the book store never really appealed to you.
“I’m dealing with some shit, but I can figure it out on my own. I don’t need a self-help book to get me through it.”
Luckily, “self-help” has come a long way, and is incredibly different than what some people may think. On top of that, indulging in some kind of personal development for as little as 10 minutes a day allows you to think outside of your own box, and can make you feel like you can accomplish anything.
Like you are WORTHY.
So before you click away from the “self-help” section of Amazon as fast as you can, or lightly jog past the section in your bookstore, check out my 5 favorite personal development books…made for potty mouths just like me!
This post contains affiliate links. These are all products I highly recommend. I won’t put anything on my website that I haven’t personally used and verified as downright stellar.
- You Are A Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life was the first personal development book I ever read – and MAN did it set the bar high! Jen Sincero is hilariously raw and surprisingly easy to relate to. There were times when I thought she wrote this book specifically for me. You’ll have a hard time putting this one down, and when you do finish it, you’ll feel like you’re unstoppable. If you love the book, you can learn how to be a badass with your business, too. Check out Sincero’s follow-up: You Are A Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth. If you’re not a business builder, but you need some daily reminders of why you’re the best thing since sliced bread, you need the day-to-day 2018 You Are A Badass calendar.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life kind of threw me off when I first saw it to be honest. I had heard great things about it, but the truth was, I did give a f*ck – a lot of f*ck’s actually – about the career path and lifestyle I had chosen. Would this book make me feel like I shouldn’t? Like I needed to be more carefree and lighten up on my passion? After the first page (seriously), all of my hesitations were wiped out. Mark Manson makes us dig deep inside of ourselves and ask the tough questions. It’s not that he wan’t you to stop giving a f*ck about everything; rather, he urges the reader to evaluate what is truly deserving of their f*cks and focus on those things. Plus, he makes you laugh the whole way through.
- Unf*ck Yourself is set up to leave you feeling educated, empowered and like you’ve got the world sitting in your hand. I love the setup of the book – it is broken into affirmations like “I am willing,” and “I embrace uncertainty.” It gives you a full-blown, no bullshit guide to feeling like a living miracle. And who doesn’t want to feel like that when they wake up every day? Another really rad thing about this book is that it’s focused on cutting out the negative self-talk and getting on with your life. Pretty cool, eh?
- Get Your Sh*t Together: How To Stop Worrying About What You Should Do So You Can Finish What You Need to Do and Start Doing What You Want to Do (A No F*cks Given Guide). Now THAT’S a mouthful. But honestly, after reading this book, I couldn’t have thought of a better title if I tried. This book is for someone who really wants to do things, but just can’t seem to get up and DO them. Ever feel like you have so much to do, that you’d rather just lay down, look at the sky and not do any of it? I have. This book shows you how to get over those feelings, tackle life head-on, and actually do the things you want to do…without second guessing yourself.
- #GirlBoss is an especially amazing book for millennials who know they are destined for something greater than what they’re doing, maybe feeling a little lost, and are really wanting to make a living the “unconventional” way. But also a pretty amazing read for pretty much anyone who needs a swift kick in the a$$ when it comes to motivation. Some of you may have watched the Netflix series, Girl Boss, and fallen madly in love with Sophia Amoruso’s story – I know I did. If you have the burning desire the be a CEO of your own brand, but don’t think you fit the traditional “mold,” read this book right now. If you have no desire to be a CEO, but want to read a book that inspires you to simply do a little more with your day….read this book right now.
So, the next time you’re feeling like screaming, swearing and throwing in the towel – pick up one of these books instead. You’ll feel better, and you’ll be in good, vulgar company.
Freddy Finds Herself is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.