It’s no secret that BOWLS are BOSS in our house. They’re so versatile, easy to throw together and jam-packed with nutrients. Plus, it’s a way for me to let my creativity to come out in the kitchen and create new combos!
This bowl had all kinds of flavor – BBQ bite from the vegan pulled pork, a little bit of spice and sourness from the sauerkraut, pops of sweetness from the halved grapes and that dessert vibe coming from the baked sweet potato.
Talk about a party in my mouth! To make it even better, this recipe is OIL FREE. It does require quite a few spices for the Vegan Pulled Pork recipe (adapted from Beachbody’s Fixate recipe), but it’s SO worth it. Plus, it makes 4 servings so you’ll have plenty for the week!
Here’s what you’ll need for the salad:
- 1/2 cup of spinach
- 1/2 cup of cucumber
- 1/2 cup of baked sweet potatoes (cubed)
- 1/2 cup of Vegan Pulled Pork
- 1/4 cup of sauerkraut (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup of chopped grapes
- 1 Tbsp. of Magic Mustard Dressing
Making the vegan pulled pork (Makes 4 servings at 1/2 cup each):
- 1 can (20-oz.) young green jackfruit in brine (NOT in syrup), drained, rinsed, cored, and seeds removed and discarded
- 1 Tbsp. water (plus more for cooking)
- ½ cup chopped onion (approx. 1½ medium)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground smoked paprika
- Pinch of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. smoked sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- Dash of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- All-natural barbecue sauce of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Heat water in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add water by the Tablespoon as needed.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add jackfruit, sugar, cumin, coriander, chili powder, paprika, cocoa powder, cinnamon, allspice, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper (if desired), and broth; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer jackfruit to prepared baking sheet. Mash with a spatula until fibers divide and take on the appearance of pulled pork.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce; mix well to coat fruit. Bake for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until fruit is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Here’s how to do it:
- While your jackfruit is cooking, wash and dice two medium sized sweet potatoes. Put in the oven at the same time as your jackfruit. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes (until pulled pork is also finished), or until fork tender.
- While the sweet potatoes and pulled pork are baking, mix up your Magic Mustard Dressing. Mix 1/3 cup of dijon or spicy mustard, 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar, a hefty shake of cracked black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of pure maple syrup and a small pinch of garlic powder. Whisk together to combine.
- Assemble your bowl in the order listed above!
And VOI LA! A healthy, heart, flavor POP of a bowl to keep you full and satisfied. This makes quite a large salad, but you can also feel free to add some quinoa, black rice or lentils for a hardier take.
Are you following the portion control system? The counts for this bowl are equal to:
- 1 Green
- 1.5 Yellow
- 1.5 Purple
If you make this recipe, let me know! Share your thoughts in the comments, and take a photo with the hashtag #freddyfindsherself on Instagram.